Purpose and Functions
The purpose of the Global Bioenergy Partnership is to provide a mechanism for Partners to organize, coordinate and implement targeted international research, development, demonstration and commercial activities related to production, delivery, conversion and use of biomass for energy, with a focus on developing countries.
GBEP provides also a forum to develop effective policy frameworks to:
- suggest rules and tools to promote sustainable biomass and bioenergy development;
- facilitate investments in bioenergy;
- promote project development and implementation;
- foster R&D and commercial bioenergy activities.
GBEP's main functions are to:
- promote global high-level policy dialogue on bioenergy and facilitate international cooperation;
- support national and regional bioenergy policy-making and market development;
- favour the transformation of biomass use towards more efficient and sustainable practices;
- foster exchange of information, skills and technologies through bilateral and multilateral collaboration;
- facilitate bioenergy integration into energy markets by tackling specific barriers in the supply chain;
- act as a cross-cutting initiative, working in synergy with other relevant activities, avoiding duplications.
GBEP works in synergy with other relevant initiatives, including: